Did you know that timber flooring has a limited life?
The life of a timber floor is determined by the thickness of the wear layer, which is the amount of timber above the tongue and groove. You can think of it as being similar to the amount of tread on a tyre. Once that wear layer is worn down (or sanded down too far) the now thin layer of timber above the tongue and groove will begin to crack and break, then the floor will need replacing. Coatings can prolong the life of a timber floor.
Timber floor coatings
Your choice of coating is also just as critical for a new floor. The coating should not only be flexible to allow the new timber to move, it should also be as durable as possible for maximum lifespan. The longer a coating lasts, the greater overall lifespan of the floor.
Advantages of timber flooring
- Anti-allergenic properties - timber flooring provides an allergy-free environment. Unlike carpets, timber floors are an inhospitable breeding ground for dust mites providing relief for allergy and asthma suffers.
- Ease of cleaning - spillages can be simply wiped away cutting down your floor cleaning time as well as susceptibility to floor staining.
- The strength and durability of timber flooring reinforces the long-lasting value of this type of flooring compared to other types of floors. Timber floors far outlast the average carpet and give years of service.
General timber flooring tips
- Fit protective pads to furniture legs to reduce risk of marking the floor.
- Use dirt trapping mats at all exterior doors to minimise dirt, sand and grit which may potentially be brought inside and scratch floorboards.
- Beware mindful of prolonged exposure to sunlight. Timber floorboards naturally changes shades overtime, turning darker or lighter. Exposure of timber flooring to sunlight can stimulate a lightening of timber colour. Where possible use mats, curtains or blinds to protect the timber.
- One of the benefits of a hardwood timber floor is that it can be refinished if it becomes excessively scratched or dented. Use a flooring professional with expertise in sanding and finishing to undertake this work.
With proper installation and care, timber floors are an outstanding flooring choice; economically and ecologically.