Example Site Plan

•  PC: Use the scroll bars to view different parts of the plan
    or drag the image where you want it.
•  Tablet: Use the 'pinch' gesture to enlarge the plan.
•  Tap or click on the grey hotspots to see explanation.
•  Note: Explanations will replace this text.

•  PC: Use the scroll bars to view different parts of the plan
    or drag the image where you want it.
•  Tablet: Use the 'pinch' gesture to enlarge the plan.
•  Tap or click on the grey hotspots to see explanation.
•  Note: Explanations will replace this text.

BASIX is the acronym for "Building Sustainability Index". Since October 2006 all development applications lodged in NSW for new homes, renovations and additions valued over $100,000 must contain a BASIX certificate. Applications for installing a pool or spa must also include a BASIX certificate. The BASIX certificate pledges the homeowner to water and energy saving commitments that must be verified by an accredited certifier before an Occupation Certificate is issued. For more information see click here.

A water rating that is displayed on various items when you are purchasing. Ratings start at 1A and go up to A5 - 5A have the best water efficiency. There is also rating seems for energy efficiency - the more stars the better energy efficiency. For more information see this web page.

5000 litre water tanks are the minimum requirement for water tanks in new developments and for substantial renovations throughout Australia. This will increase if you have a pool or outdoor spa. See you local council website for verification

Sub-floor area is the none habitable space under a floor with natural ground exposed. It is here that all the plumbing and electrical conduits can be seen

Water mains are large pipes that carry water from the dams to your property. These are located either on council land - close to one of your boundaries or on your land which may impact on any future development you may have been planing. In short keep your distance from any main otherwise extra cost during the construction process will be incurred due to non standard construction There are also electrical mains, sewer mains, storm water mains and gas mains - not all properties will have these. Contact your local council for verification.

Brick veneer is a wall system using a single brick skin as the non-load bearing exterior cladding with a 40mm air space cavity. The bricks are connected with metal brick ties that are attached to the internal stud wall - made of either timber or steel. For further details see Brick veneer construction

The performance of thermal insulation products and is measured by its thermal resistance or R-value. This is a measurement of the insulation's resistance to heat transfer and is expressed as a number normally between 1 and 4. The greater the R-value, the more effective the insulation is at resisting conducted heat flow into the building in summer, and out of it in winter. Therefore the R-value is actually a measure of performance. One brand of insulation may be thicker or thinner than another, but if they both show the same R-value, they will perform equally.

100mm foil blanket is the description of this particular kind of insulation - 100mm is 10cm thick fibre (usually fibre glass but also wool and polyester) the foil is a reflective paper (for a better word) that is glued to one side of the fibre and installed with the reflective side up (not down). Foil blankets not only minimise radiant heat transfer in rooves but it can also act as a water proofing membrane. These products can also be used in external walls with great success.

Fibre Cement Sheeting is manufactured from cement, silica, cellulose fibres and water. It is compressed into a high density sheeting then cured in an autoclave. It is a very durable product and is immune to water damage and is non combustible and impact and termite resistant. It is used commonly as a base in weta areas such as bathrooms and is seeing a resurgence as a painted external cladding in leading edge architecturally designed homes.

Eaves are the external underside area between the gutter and the outside wall of your home. Eaves are usually clad with fibre cement sheeting joined together with plastic battens. But if you want a clean finish and something different you can use plaster set "green board" for a seamless external gyprock finish, or painted or lime washed timber v-joint flooring can be a very attractive alterative. Eaves can also be made from Soffit Fibre cement which is constructed from cement, silica, cellulose fibres and water.

Termite control is a barrier of some kind used to prevent termites from eating through anything made of timer. There are physical barriers such termite shields or caps which sit between brick piers and timer floor members. This method does not prevent termites getting into your house it merely forces the termites out of cracks in the piers to where they can be seen as mudding tubes in which they travel. Other physical barriers are products such as granite guard - a sand type product, is spread out before a concrete slab is poured. Termimesh is a flyscreen like product with a weave that is so tight that it prevents termites from passing through the ground to your home.

An easement is a section of land or airspace that council uses to accommodate local service mains such as sewer, water, electricity and stormwater. Easements can be anywhere - on council or privately owned land. Check your Deposited Plan and Section 149 Certificate to see if your land is affected with an easement. Having an easement on your property will influence the buildings location, footing design and uses of the space.

A watercourse is a fixed waterway and a watercourse is temporarily waterway that becomes active during rainy periods Contact your local council to see if your land if affected by a R.O.W.

R.O.W is the arconym for right-of-way which is a shared access to private individual properties. Contact your local council to see if your land if affected by a R.O.W.

Treated timber is any timber products that have been impregnated with chemicals to prevent termite attack. A commonly used product is treated pine or LOSP timber. For more information www.tpaa.com.au/products.htm http://www.nafi.com.au/timbertalk/index.html#results

DP is the acronym for Deposited Plan and is the Land Titles Office description of your torrens title property in an old title description that is still used today eg. Lot 1 in Deposited plan 99099 of the parish of Gosford - in Cumberland county

The number shown on the plan is an Australian Height Datum (AHD) level called a "spot level" in relation to the slope of your land. AHD level 0 relates to the mean sea level and all AHD levels relate back to this e.g., AHD 1.00 equals 1 Metre above the mean sea level. Read more at on this web page.s

7000mm is how far you must set-back your development from the street boundary line, this figure varies from council to council, check with your local councils on-duty building inspector. Here is an example: click here.s

The benchmark cut in curb is represented by a triangle imprint usually imbedded in the face of concrete gutters - in new developments. This bench mark has been recorded and can be used by anyone wishing to calculated other ground levels in relation to Australian Height Datum.

This is a contour line and represents the rise in ground level at each contour, this plan shows the contours at 500mm high intervals

Floor Space Ratio is the area of your building excluding all car parking and verandahs divided by the the area of your land. This calculation is needed so that the owners and council are sure that the development proposal is not too big for the allotment it is being sited on. The average ratio limit that council states for 2(a) zoned properties is 5:1% but this may vary depending on what council your property comes under check with your local councils On-Duty Building Inspector for more information on Floor Space Ratios.

"A" is the plan issue & states it is a first issue, "B" would be the second issue where plan changes have occurred.

The amendment area….allows the designer to note down changes that have been made to the drawings eg. Extra floor space added to bed. 1

Development Application and Building Construction Certificate Drawings The DA process reviews the development proposal in its form, size and finish. The BCC drawings explain to council how the building will be constructed - with exact dimensions for construction